Planning for the ARLIS/MW conference September 30-October 2nd in Denver
is underway, and we wanted to let you know about a couple items of
local/conference interest.  The conference will take place at the
historic Lower Downtown (LoDo)  Oxford Hotel at 1600 17th Street.  Rooms
have been set aside for ARLIS/Mountain West for the nights of Sept. 30,
October 1, and October 2. To get the group rate, you must call (don't
book online) by August 30:  Single: $169; Double: $189.  Call
303-628-5400 or 800-228-5838.  For more information on the hotel, see
their website:  http://www.theoxfordhotel.com
<http://www.theoxfordhotel.com/>

Our keynote speaker will be Lawrence Argent, a professor of art at the
University of Denver.  Read about the sculpture he is creating for the
Denver Convention Center expansion (and the controversy that surrounds
the installation of nearly all public art in the Mile High City) at
<http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E53%257E2217750,00.html?
search=filter>
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E53%257E2217750,00.html?s
earch=filter.

Saturday afternoon, October 2nd, we'll go to the site of the
construction of the Frederick C. Hamilton building of the Denver Art
Museum for a brief tour (and free admission to the museum).  The
Hamilton Building will be the first designed by the architect Daniel
Libeskind to be completed in the United States (2006).  For more
information, go to  <http://www.denverartmuseum.org/>
http://www.denverartmuseum.org/ and click on "Expansion Info."

We hope that some of you from outside our chapter will be able to join
us, so save the dates, and we look forward to seeing you in Denver!

Tom Riedel and Peggy Keeran
Local Arrangements Folks

Tom Riedel
Distance Services Librarian