This message is being posted on ARLIS-L and VRA-L.

Here at Parsons School of Design, after much debate and soul-searching, we have decided to take a wait and see attitude regarding ARTstor for this first year. Since we are part of the New School we are classified as a Medium Higher Ed institution which carries a hefty price tag. It is not only the price, however, but issues such as the lack of true ARTstor/Insight compatibility (we already subscribe to Insight), the launch and pricing announcement coming so late in the fiscal year process, and our own campus' lack of adequate smart classrooms (even if we had ARTstor few faculty could utilize it for teaching at this point).

I am curious to know what other institutions are doing and why. I think ARTstor has been responsive in many respects to the community’s needs, and am hopeful that if concerns that are shared by others are made clear to ARTstor that they will continue to evolve their practices.

So my question to the list is:

Are you subscribing to ARTstor and if not, why not?

Please reply off-list. I will be out of the office from June 28 through July 5 and will be happy to summarize for the list when I return if there is interest. Thank you.

Andrew P. Gessner
Director, Gimbel Library
Parsons School of Design

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]