Pam, addressing in particular your question "How are faculty using digital
images in the classroom," I'd like to point you to two resources. First,
Penn's Visual Image User study still is the most comprehensive
investigation on the topic, and you can find an overview at
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july01/pisciotta/07pisciotta.html, and the final
report at http://www.libraries.psu.edu/vius/summary.html.

At RLG, we are currently investigating a very similar topic with the help
of our Advisory Group on Instructional Technologies. We're particularly
interested in how digital images make their way out of licensed databases
(of which we have two, RLG Cultural Materials and the AMICO Library) and
into instructional technology tools (such as MDID, Insight, etc) or
courseware (WebCT, Blackboard, etc). As part of that working group, we
interviewed faculty on 3 campuses about their image use, and you can read a
preliminary report on our findings at
http://www.rlg.org/en/page.php?Page_ID=17063#article2

I hope you find this info helpful!

Cheers,

Günter

                      Pam Eyerdam
                      O.EDU>                   cc:
                      Sent by: ART             Subject:  [ARLIS-L] Transitioning from slides to digital images
                      LIBRARIES SOCIETY
                      DISCUSSION LIST

                      06/09/2004 05:43
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      p.eyerdam

I would like any input (or advise) about how academic institutions are
dealing with the following:

How visual collections that support Art History programs are handling slide
collections and educating faculty into the transition of using digital
images.

Do faculty expect the slide library staff to scan their images and burn a
CD
or does faculty do it themselves ?  If the slide library staff does provide
such a service, how do you cover the cost of equipment and supplies ?

Does your faculty need to learn how to scan images from slides and burn a
CD
and who would provide this type of training ?

How are departments setting up viewing equipment in classrooms (in regards
to slide projectors, digital projection, one or two screen viewing, etc.
??)
What kind of support is the university/college providing to properly equip
the classrooms to view digital images.

How are faculty using digital images in the classroom ?  Are they burning a
CD of images or using zip discs/ memory sticks/ jump drives, or going live
online, or simply refusing to use digital images?   Are faculty using 2
digital images on one screen, or using 2 screen projection (with a digital
image on each screen or one digital and one slide projection) ?

Has anyone established any type of policies or procedures relating to
digital images and their slide collections ?

Any input would be helpful and much appreciated !
Pam Eyerdam, Art Librarian and Head of Reference
Cleveland State University Library, Cleveland OH