ARLIS-SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA SPRING EVENT

Our Lady of the Angels (Los Angeles Cathedral) Tour

Museum of Contemporary Art (MoCA) Visit

June 7, 2004

Schedule:

9:30-9:45 a.m. Meet at the Cathedral, 555 West Temple Street, Los Angeles, CA. 90012. We will gather at the water well near the entrance on Temple; same level as parking level 1.

Directions: http://www.olacathedral.org/gettinghere/index.html <http://www.olacathedral.org/gettinghere/index.html>

10 a.m. Tour the Cathedral (1 1/2 hours) http://www.olacathedral.org/index.html <http://www.olacathedral.org/index.html>

11 a.m. (approximately) Artist Simon Toparovsky will meet with us to discuss RED CRUCIFIX and answer any questions. He will also join us for lunch. http://www.simontoparovsky.com/index.html <http://www.simontoparovsky.com/index.html>

11:30-1 p.m. (approximately). Lunch at the Cathedral's café.

1:00 p.m. (approximately) Meet in front of MoCA near admissions kiosk for Library tour and self-guided tour of the exhibition A MINIMAL FUTURE? ART AS OBJECT 1958-1968, 250 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90012. See description below. http://www.moca.org/museum/ <http://www.moca.org/museum/>

Costs:

Self-parking is available at the Cathedral for $5.00 and is good all day.

Tour is $10 for members and $13 for non-members (includes cathedral tour and visit to MOCA)

Lunch at the Cathedral's café. Sandwich and salad options are available from about $9-$13

Please RSVP no later than Thursday, May 27th to Trish Rose [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Our Lady of the Angels Dedicated in 2002 and located on a 5.6 acre site in the Bunker Hill area of downtown Los Angeles, the cathedral was designed by Pritzker Architectural Prize-winning Spanish architect José Rafael Moneo. California artists, many local to greater Los Angeles, were chosen to create the art and architectural elements for this highly contemporary structure with virtually no right angles. They include Robert Graham, Mary Louise Snowden, and Simon Toparovsky.

Cardinal Roger Mahony, Archbishop of Los Angeles, commissioned Los Angeles sculptor Simon Toparovsky to design the main altar crucifix. The bronze corpus of the Red Crucifix is slightly larger than life-size and weighs 410 pounds.

After lunch we will walk to MoCA, a moderate but flat 3 block walk. We can visit the library and meet with head librarian Lynda Bunting and see the museum exhibits. Lynda particularly recommends A MINIMAL FUTURE? ART AS OBJECT 1958-1968, which takes up all of California Plaza. Note we will pass by Disney Hall http://www.musiccenter.org/wdch/ <http://www.musiccenter.org/wdch/>

Cathedral Information:

http://www.olacathedral.org/index.html <http://www.olacathedral.org/index.html>

MoCA information:

http://www.moca.org/museum/ <http://www.moca.org/museum/>