[log in to unmask]" rel=File-List>
Greg--this is hilarious--I wish we could have more humor on the listserv! --Joan B.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Most, Gregory
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 1:32 PM
Subject: [ARLIS-L] A Blast from the Past

In our pixel driven, scan heavy, and digitally overloaded world… I want you to cast your mind back to simpler days. When our biggest headache was a magenta slide or a blown projector bulb. When men were slide curators, and women were…slide curators!

I have eleven cases of Perrot-Color slide mounts. You youngsters out there might not know them well, but as their supply dwindled after production ceased, Perrot-Color mounts were prized like a rare pearl or a fine wine. They were considered the Cadillac of slide mounts. These cases were hoarded here at the Gallery by one of my predecessors. I can now proudly come out of the closet and say that… I AM A GEPE MAN!  I have always liked them better and haven’t used a Perrot-color since 1983.

Are you still longing for the days of thin squares of aluminum, testing the anti-Newton glass for the etched side, and the seductive sound of the slide crimper securing the mount? Do you miss those funny little labels that you could never type on, but came with each box – just like the toy in a box of Cracker Jacks? Do I have a deal for you!  I am proposing a one-for-one trade. Send me a case of Gepe mounts (you know the ones I crave, their white and grey skin so ripplely to the touch, their inability to stack, yet how quickly they snap and un-snap!) and I will send you a case of Perrot-Colors.  Please contact me off-list.

My apologies for the cross-posting.

Gregory P. J. Most

Chief, Library Image Collections

National Gallery of Art

Washington, DC 20565

e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

URLS:  http://www.nga.gov/resources/dsldesc.htm

            http://www.nga.gov/resources/dpadesc.htm

phone:  202/ 842-6100

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]