Dear ARLIS-L readers:

Millie Wewerka from LC CPSO has notified me that they have added scope notes to the subject heading records for "Installations" and "Site-specific installations." The scope notes:

Installations (Art) - Here are entered works on a type of art form in which an entire exhibition space is transformed into a three-dimensional work of art by the arrangement of objects and materials within the space.

Site-specific installations (Art) - Here are entered works on art installations created for a specific site that use elements of the site as an integral part of the work of art and are intended to be displayed and viewed only at that site.

You may remember that scope notes were first proposed by LC as a solution to our query about the viability of two headings. While the scope notes do present a viable difference, it seems to me that the literature is sloppy. That is, I read about "site-specific installations" that are in white gallery spaces and can be re-created in other white gallery spaces without significant gain/loss to the artwork. A Tom Burr piece that I saw at AFA gallery is now in the Biennial, looking about the same (perhaps better).

Sherman Clarke
NYU Libraries