Nedda,
Maryland Institute College of Art has just subscribed, at the 0-500 users rate of $250. The library is sharing the cost with one of the college's foundation programs known as Electronic Media and Culture (which is overseen by the chair of the Interactive Media department).

Rhizome provides organizational subscriptions, described here:
http://www.rhizome.org/info/org.php

Rachel Greene was very helpful in getting our subscription started (
[log in to unmask], phone 212.219.1222, x208).

Here is Rhizome's statement on the different access modes.

Institutions can subscribe to Rhizome in one of two ways: 1) IP address range or 2) via email account.

1) Subscribing through IP address allows members to access Rhizome via machine rather than through email account access. This type of access is most appropriate for campus computer labs, residential networks, etc. Unfortunately, members will not be able to submit to the artbase, subscribe to email lists, etc., because they will not have individual accounts. However, anyone accessing Rhizome from approved machines can view the website in its entirety.

2) Institutions may also subscribe via email address. This allows users full access to Rhizome's services. They can subscribe to email lists and submit to the artbase. University students can also keep their accounts after graduation by paying the individual membership fee of $5.

*Institutions that wish to subscribe with both types of access (IP range and email account) will be charged an additional 20% of their annual membership fee.

We decided to pay the additional 20% ($50) for both types of access. The IP address is most appropriate for the research aspect of the site which would be used in the library, while the email address seems best for digital media students wanting develop a personal interaction with the site.

In either case, the way to provide access would seem to be to add a link to Rhizome's basic site within your list of art databases, full-text resources, e-journals, etc. I imagine you could have an OPAC record with an 856 field linking to the site, and perhaps the link would also be offered in the context of a website for the art or art history department. You just need to provide any applicable IP addresses to Rhizome.

Best,
Kathy

Nedda Ahmed wrote:
[log in to unmask]">Hi everyone,
Do any of your libraries subscribe to Rhizome? It's a e-newsletter
created by the New Museum. One of my professors wants the library to get
an institutional subscription, but I'm not sure how we would/could
provide access to something that is an e-mail newsletter.  Any
suggestions would be helpful!
Thanks,
Nedda.
--
Nedda H. Ahmed
Fine Arts Liaison & Reference Librarian

Katherine Cowan
Acting Director, Decker Library
Maryland Institute College of Art
1300 Mount Royal Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21217
tel: 410/225-2311
fax: 410/225-2316
email: [log in to unmask]
__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]