One of our art history grad students is doing preliminary research for a thesis topic on "the intersection of 18th century women's history, furniture production, and possibly women's fashion in France." She's interested both in any role women had in furniture production, and what impact women's roles, social mores, and fashion might have had on the design of furniture. We've been over the usual suspects for articles (Art Index, BHA, daai, Historical Abstracts, A&H Citation Index, Womens Studies Abstracts, Project MUSE, JSTOR) but she hasn't found a lot of articles so far.

She's busily searching for books and doing better there. Does anyone know of libraries with particularly strong collections in French 18th century furniture, interior design, and/or women's history? (I'm a firm believer in mining other people's online catalogs.) Any obscure indexes that might be of use? Any idea when the catalog for the "Dangerous Liaisons" exhibit at the Met will be published? Any other useful suggestions?

Edith L. Crowe
Art & Humanities Librarian & Coordinator of Graduate Instruction
San Jose State University Library
http://www.sjlibrary.org

Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
http://www.mythsoc.org
__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]