Hi Everyone,
If you are planning to be in New York Monday evening April 19th and are still uncertain about what to do, join us for the Upper West Side event. There are still a few places available.

We will leave the Hotel promptly at 7 PM and travel via subway shuttle to the Times Square subway station where we will change trains and see the Roy Lichtenstein mural designed for the Times Square subway station many years ago and finally installed.

From there it is one stop to 72nd St, where we begin our walk. We will head towards Donald Trump's new Riverside South development and see the good and the bad of the Donald's vision.  We will see Riverside Park South and walk out onto the beautiful 69th St. pier. From the pier and during our walk north along the shore of the peaceful Hudson River and the lower part of Riverside Park, we will be able to see the massive George Washington Bridge five miles away and beautifully lit at night. Our journey along the river ends at the 79th Street boat basin, where people live on boats all year round. Here we leave the river and the park and head back to civilization and Zabar's on Broadway and 80th St. A walk through Zabar's should enhance our appetites as we continue our walk south on Broadway to La Caridad, a Chinese Cuban restaurant.

After fortifying ourselves, we will continue down Broadway. Many of the apartment buildings on Broadway were built during the early years of the 20th century. One, the Ansonia, has been home over the years to many performers. Some of its famous residents have been Stravinsky, Toscanini, Caruso, and Valentino. Further south we will walk through Lincoln Towers, an apartment complex built during the 1960s urban renewal project. This enormous undertaking (really slum clearance) decimated tenements and row houses. Here is where "West Side Story" was filmed during the clearance project. I live in Lincoln Towers and we will stop at my apartment for coffee/tea and dessert before heading for our last location of the evening, a nighttime walk around Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.

A nice way to end the evening will be a ride on the no.5 bus. This will leave you two blocks from the hotel but on the way you will see the new Time/Warner Center at Columbus Circle, the Plaza Hotel, Augustus Saint Gaudens' General Sherman monument, St. Patrick's Cathedral and Rockefeller Center.

The cost for dinner at La Caridad will be between $10 and $20.  Each ride on the subway or bus is $2. Reply to me if you are interested.

See you soon in NYC.
Emily

For an overview of the "Monday Night with New Yorkers" event at the
ARLIS/NA 2004 Annual conference, follow this link:
http://artcataloging.net/arlisna/

Emily Roth
Associate Museum Librarian
Library and Teacher Resource Center