I don't know how to say this (and maybe some of the historians in the
organization can contribute to this discussion), but what was the original
intent of the architects of ARLIS/NA as an organization?  I feel ARLIS/NA
operates unlike other library organizations like ALA, SLA, etc.-it is
actually a bit more complex.

ARLIS/NA includes librarians from diverse library settings but there is
somewhat of a push-pull mentality among those who are continually
re-structuring the organization.  Indeed, there are many needs in the
organization but finding the right mix seems like a continual challenge for
us.

From where I'm standing--I've often asked myself, is ARLIS/NA the right
organization for me?  Maybe it isn't.  I think as art or architecture
librarians (that most of us are), we all have to continually ask ourselves
this question-if it is, then we stick around and make it work for us.  If it
isn't, then we stop working with it and go elsewhere.  A few people have
asked me "why I'm intent on trying to change the organization?"  It's not
that I seek to change it but while I work as an art librarian, I'd like the
organization to make a place for me at its table.  Maybe in the future I
won't be an art librarian and eventually I will leave ARLIS/NA and work with
ALA or some other group?  But that's the future-now I'm an art librarian and
ARLIS/NA is my professional organization.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in New York. :-)

Miguel