OK, usually I try to keep out of these things, but frankly I'm getting a
bit tired of hearing people complain about ARLIS/NA.  Ever since I began my
studies as a librarian and I investigated various professional
organizations, I have been and still am overwhelmingly pleased ARLIS/NA,
far over some of the other named library organizations out there.  ARLIS/NA
has offered me camaraderie, collegiality, professional development
opportunities, and so on, things that I had a much greater difficulty
accomplishing (or enjoying!) in other organizations like ALA.  The fact
that ARLIS/NA has managed to exist for as long as it has should be
recognized as merit unto itself.  Let's face it, people, the world of art
librarians is very small in comparison to the entire professional as a
whole.  We should count ourselves fortunate that we have an organization
such as this that focuses on our needs.

People need to remember that the organization does NOT revolve around the
specific wishes of every individual member.  If that were the case, NO
organization could ever exist or function as an organization.  You have to
take a look at the big picture and recognize that the Executive Board often
has to make decisions that are for the overall improvement of the
organization, NOT the individuals.  This is just how it is.  And there are
going to be things that I may disagree with...but you know what?  That's
life.  You have to accept it and move on.  And if you can't accept it, then
you should move on out of the organization.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't voice their feelings about ARLIS/NA --
everyone is entitled to their opinion -- but instead of complaining, offer
suggestions for improvement.  What boss wants to hear a person point out
something not working without offering a suggestion on how to improve
it?  Think about it.

So that's my opinion....sorry for the tirade at this early hour of the morning.
And I'm very much looking forward to seeing my colleagues and friends in
New York.

         -- Roberto

Roberto C. Ferrari
Coordinator for Assessment and Planning