Dear Lucie,

I am glad to hear that so many ARLIS members are interested in discussing new student recruitment. I'd also like to mention that this past year the Midstates Chapter created the William C. Bunce/Midstates Chapter award, intended to promote conference attendance among Midstates members, particularly students and first-time attendees.

I've always thought that creating student chapters is a good idea, however, I remember that this issue was brought up a few Midstates meetings ago by one of our members (notes about the discussion can be found in the minutes at http://php.indiana.edu/~edowell/midstates/minutes_fa2002.html) . Some of our student members thought that maintaining local/school chapters would be a very difficult task partly because individuals move so fast thorough the programs and also because the number of students interested in the arts varies greatly from one year to another.

Perhaps creating a North American (U.S.-Canada-Mexico) student chapter of ARLIS would be a good solution and would increase the society's presence in library schools. I'm also interested in hearing what others have to say about this issue.

Best regards,

Alba

>>> Lucie Stylianopoulos <[log in to unmask]> 3/24/04 8:47:30 AM >>>
Dear Compatriots,

Well a public failure can sometimes reap vast rewards.  My earlier "NC"
mistake has yielded a number of responses from students, both in the AMLISS
chapter at UNC-SLIS in North Carolina and from students in Canada and the
other areas of the US.  Their messages say to me that we need to have more
visibility in the library schools in the US and Canada and recruit more
directly from library schools.  I have also heard that many library school
students are interested in art librarianship but find more opportunities in
ALA, ACRL, SLA, etc. than with ARLIS.  Finally, the need for student travel
awards, both diversity-oriented and open, has come up.

Leslie Abrams and I, as co-chairs of the Strategic Plan Task Force, and our
colleagues on the Task force are certainly monitoring these discussions
closely and hope to produce some results next year.  I think we will be
working closely with several ARLIS committees, Membership and Diversity
immediately spring to mind, to see some solutions emerge.

ARLIS/NA and the local chapters have student memberships.  The library
school students, however, are saying that we need ARLIS student
organizations in the schools that are affiliated with ARLIS/NA directly,
much like SLA.  I am inclined to agree.  I plan to be coming to the
ARLIS/NA new members reception so I can meet and welcome new members and
new student members personally and talk about this issue.

Could we have some online discussion on this issue, however, since many of
the interested parties cannot afford to attend the NYC conference.

yours,

lucie

Lucie Wall Stylianopoulos
Collections/User Education Coordinator
Librarian for Art, Classical Archaeology, and
Architectural History
Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4131

tele. 434-924-6604           [log in to unmask]                   fax:

Alba Fernández-Keys,
Assistant Art Reference Librarian
Indianapolis Museum of Art
4000 Michigan Road