Hi Everybody,
If you are looking for something "uniquely New York" to do on Monday
evening, April 19th, at ARLIS '04, you should consider joining those of
us who are going to the East Village for drinks, dinner, and a walk
through this lively and eclectic neighborhood. The evening should be a
lot of fun. This is what we have planned:

1. Drinks at Jenny Tobias' apartment on E. 12th St. (roof-deck with
spectacular views over lower Manhattan)

2. Dinner at a restaurant on "Indian Row" on E. 6th St. (delicious and
inexpensive)

3. Neighborhood walk. The East Village features historic sites, and
ethnic restaurants, bakeries, and churches, as well as venues for
experimental music and performance. Sights include: St.
Mark's-in-the-Bowery (the 2nd oldest church in Manhattan and gravesite
of Peter Stuyvesant, as well as the home of Allen Ginsberg's Poetry
Project); the ornate facade of the Ottendorfer Branch of the New York
Public Library (originally built as the "Neue Bibliothek und
Lesenhalle," a free library for the German community in the 19th
century); St. Mark's    Place (a notorious main street of the counter
culture scene--beats, hippies, and punk musicians--in the 1960s and
1970s, and still a great place to get something pierced. Or just buy a
t-shirt. Also, we will go by Astor Place, Cooper Union, Union Square,
and the Strand Bookstore on our way from and to the subway.

4. Cost will be about $20 for dinner and $4 for two subway rides.

Space is limited. Those who are interested are encouraged to
pre-register by contacting either me ([log in to unmask]) or Emily
Roth ([log in to unmask]).

For an overview of the "Monday Night with New Yorkers" event at the
ARLIS/NA 2004 Annual conference, follow this link:
http://artcataloging.net/arlisna/monday/template.html

See you soon in NYC!
Meg Black
Librarian