Heather and ARLIS colleagues,

We don't charge for searches here, as we're an academic art library.
But about 9 years ago when I worked as a medical librarian we charged
the public for medline searches (this was before so much was on the web
for free--we had to use our subscription-based medline to do the work).

Our findings then were that you have to charge "non members"  or
unaffiliated persons *something* or you will end up doing searches that
many won't bother to pick up and you will be out of the time you spent
interviewing for the search and actually doing it.  My guess is if you
charged at least a $5 fee per search --and you define a search as one
concept--you will only get serious requestors approaching you for the
service.  The fee should be payable in advance (otherwise, again, you
can end up getting stuck by having done the work and having a no-show).

Regarding the one concept, back in the medical library we would charge
separate fees if a person requested both

A search on the side effects of erythromycin in pediatric patients

And

A search on the connection between asbestos, lung cancer and smoking.

In other words if all of the search were related to one idea, like lung
cancer or a particular medication, it would still be one search.

Sounds nitpicky, but formulating and doing each separate concept took
time and by charging per concept we covered our time and processing
costs.

One final thing--we also charged if the search FOUND NOTHING.  Knowing
that no information exists on a particular topic is information worth
paying for. And we never got a complaint about that part of our policy!

Judy Donovan
Library Director
Delaware College of Art and Design
600 N. Market Street