From: Perisho, Steve [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 12:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Index to Bible in art?

      The granddaddy here, of course, for art through the end of the 14th century (and, in the case of the Morgan Library Project, through the end of the 16th), may be Princeton University’s Index of Christian Art.

To search by scripture reference it is only necessary to go from the entry for the passage in question to the various subject headings to which it directs one, keeping in mind only this, that the Index begins with the Testament, as follows: "OT, Numbers 22:31" (which references "Balaam: opposed by Angel"), or "NT, Acts of the Apostles 21:08" (which references "Philip the Deacon: (Scene,) meeting Eunuch"); or "OT, Apocrypha, Baruch 01:01", "NT, Apocrypha, Acts of Pilate 01:02", and so forth. (Note that the place-holding zeros (sometimes two in the case of long books or chapters) are to Web-based searching, at least, extremely crucial, and that to do this over the Internet, one must select first "Browse" (not "Search"), and then the field "Text Reference" (only one of a whole slough of possibilities). Note further that there appear to be some inconsistencies: "NT, Acts 01:11", on the one hand, but also "NT, Acts of the Apostles 01:11", on the other, both of which reference "Christ: Ascension". Less is therefore sometimes more.)

(That from Jim’s and my two-year-old ATLA review, at http://www.atla.com/member/librarians_tools/reference_reviews/review1201.html.)

      But of course the e-version of the Index remains, for now, woefully incomplete.  So this isn’t really a practical suggestion for those much further away from hard copy than is Philadelphia!  J

      I look forward, therefore, to additional responses.

All the best,

Steve Perisho

Theology/Humanities/Fine Arts Librarian

Seattle Pacific University Library