Printed Matter, Inc. welcomes ARLIS/NA members to New York Dear Members of ARLIS/NA:

Printed Matter, Inc., the worldıs largest non-profit organization dedicated to artistsı books, would like to extend a warm welcome to the librarians from all over North America who will be visiting New York for the ARLIS/NA conference from April 15 ­ 20th.  While you are in the city we invite you to come visit Printed Matter in Chelsea, the epicenter of New Yorkıs contemporary art world, to experience first hand the exciting work being done in the medium of artistsı books today.

As a special service to conference attendees, Printed Matter would like to offer librarians interested in artistsı books a free consultation session with one of our staff members.  We will be happy to discuss strategies for building and maintaining artistsı book collections based on the particular needs and interests of your library.  We can provide you with lists of recommended books organized around a particular theme, time period, artist, or group of artists.  Some lists that we have drawn up recently include Innovative Forms ­ books whose content is expressed or reinforced through experimental treatment of the book form; Politically Engaged Books ­ books that address and encourage political activism on community and national levels; PhotoDocuments ­ books that tell stories, bear witness or raise consciousness with photographs; and Classics of Conceptual Art ­ books that were the original venues for the conceptually driven, de-materialized art of the Œ60s and Œ70s.

While we are in the process of bringing lesser known portions of our inventory to public attention through a re-design of our website, www.printedmatter.org, there is nothing quite like browsing through the work on the shelves or having a member of the staff direct your attention to important and innovative artists whose work we represent.  We hope you can find time to make an appointment to come see us or just stop by and introduce yourselves.  Call (212) 925-0325 and ask to speak to David Platzker ([log in to unmask]), Max Schumann ([log in to unmask]) or Rachel Bers, ([log in to unmask])

We look forward to seeing you soon.

--
Rachel Bers
Bibliographer / Editor

www.printedmatter.org

Printed Matter, Inc.
535 West 22nd Street
New York, NY  10011

212 925 0325 tel
212 925 0464 fax

Printed Matter, Inc. is an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 1976 by artists and art workers with the mission to foster the appreciation, dissemination, and understanding of artists' books and other artists' publications.

Printed Matter has received support, in part, through grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, the New York State Council on the Arts, the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, New York Arts Recovery Fund, The Altria Group, Inc., Art for Artıs Sake, Milton & Sally Avery Arts Foundation, The Cowles Charitable Trust, Fifth Floor Foundation, The Horace W. Goldsmith Foundation, Elizabeth Firestone Graham Foundation, Heyday Foundation, The New York Community Trust, LEF Foundation, The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, Womenıs Studio Workshop, and private foundations and individuals worldwide.

Printed Matter, Inc. is not affiliated with, nor a division of, any other non-profit organization.

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]