Have you thought of looking in Pigler, Barokthemen, which appeared a few years ago in a revised edition?  It is in German, but is well-indexed.

Cordially,

Andrew Washton

"Sara J. MacDonald" wrote:

Dear ARLIS-L,

I am wondering if there's an index similar to The Oxford guide to classical mythology in the arts, 1300-1990s, for Biblical stories.

We have plenty of materials on iconography, but our students get assignments in which they're supposed to choose a passage or story from the Bible and then find it depicted in art (usually but not limited to painting).  We have a copy of Iconographic index to Old Testament subjects represented in photographs and slides of paintings in the visual collections, Fine Arts Library, Harvard University, but not the Iconographic index to New Testament subjects.

I have gone through Fine Arts : A Bibliographic Guide, American Reference Books Annual, The Humanities : A Selective Guide to Information Sources and Jones' Art Research: Methods and Resources and haven't come across anything else that sounds exactly right.  Any suggestions?  Web sites??  Thanks.

Sara
Sara J. MacDonald, Public Services Librarian
The University of the Arts - University Libraries
320 S. Broad St., Philadelphia PA 19102 USA
Voice: 215-717-6282 Fax: 215-717-6287
[log in to unmask]    http://library.uarts.edu/

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]