RE: Input on a  PUBLICATIONS dilemma
Dear ARLIS/NA,
According to  The Chicago Manual of Style (15th ed. Chicago : University
of Chicago Press, 2003) , titles of exhibition catalogues should no
longer be set-off by italics or quotations.  Our publications department
is upset because most exhibition titles are getting longer and longer
with more punctuation. -- Won't this be confusing to the reader?
I've tried to submit a question to the Chicago Manual of Style Q&A web
site, but I also wanted to get input from art librarians or their
institutions' publications departments.

8.208 (page 377) Exhibitions and such. Titles of exhibitions and fairs
are not italicized, but catalog titles are.

ex.  We saw the show Mary Cassatt: Modern Woman when visiting Chicago

In her introduction Mary Cassatt: Modern Woman, Judith A. Barter writes....

Thanks for you thoughts (off-list),
Sincerely, Kim Collins, [log in to unmask], (404)727-2997
Robert W. Woodruff Library, Emory University

Dear Kim,

According to the new Chicago Style Manual art exhibition titles are
among the titles that are no longer supposed to be set off by
quotations or italics. I looked it up. I'd love to know what the folks
in your list serv plan to do.

Sincerely,
Sally A. Corbett
Asst. Dir. for Marketing & P.R.
Performing Arts at Emory
Schwartz Center for Performing Arts
Emory University
1700 N. Decatur Road, Suite 314
Atlanta, Georgia 30322
404.727.6678
cell 678.428.9279
fax 404.727. 4763
www.emory.edu/ARTS
www.schwartzcenter.emory.edu
For performance tickets, call 404.727.5050.