It's time to start thinking about the Cataloging Section meeting in New
York City!

We are scheduled to me Saturday, April 17 from 5:00 to 6:30 pm.
I hope that you will be able to join us. Following a very brief business
meeting,
we will have a discussion of two topics of interest to many.

Business:
Introduction of current officers: Ann Copeland, Moderator; Zimra Panitz,
Vice-Moderator/Moderator-Elect; Eric Wolf, Update Column Editor; Kay Teel,
Webpage Editor.

Welcome new officers:
We need a volunteer to serve as incoming Vice-Moderator/Moderator-Elect.
We also need a volunteer to serve as the new Update Column Editor.
The Update Column Editor sends a call for news to the membership 3 times a year
according to a set schedule and may also address other topics of interest
to the membership.
If you are interested in serving in either capacity, please contact me

Agenda:

Last year at the Cataloging Section meeting in Baltimore we decided to use
our time to have more
substantive discussion of issues affecting catalogers such as management,
metadata, or developments in the field
of cataloging. This year our discussions will be based on two presentations:

Kay Teel will offer a short presentation on the so-called "Stanford model"
of cataloging workflow. There has been
growing interest in this model, particularly from catalogers at academic
institutions. Kay has been using this model
for over 4 years and will offer a "veterans perspective."

K.C. Elhard will be discussing the "Digital Emblematica" project at the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
The project synthesizes two approaches for cataloging emblem books:
treating the book as a basic unit of description, while also providing
emblem-level metadata in order to make topical
and thematic aspects of the images searchable across books, cultures, and
time periods.

Please send any other agenda items to me ([log in to unmask]). And please do
consider volunteering for our open positions.
It is a great way to get involved!

Thanks and see you in April!

Ann Copeland
Special Collections Cataloging Librarian
Penn State University Libraries
University Park, PA