Dear ARLIS-L Readers,

Your input is requested:

At the March 2003 meeting of the Reference and Information Services Section
(RISS) of ARLIS/NA, it was moved " . . . to convene a small working group
to explore the possibility of creating more efficient access to existing
free Internet subject resources on the arts. "

Having chaired a RUSA/MARS committee, which originated and was charged with
the upkeep of a list of selected innovative web-based services, I felt I
had the appropriate experience and agreed to lead a discussion on the pros
and cons of a committee-produced web-based reference tool that requires
maintenance in perpetuity (presumably).

RISS members will discuss this topic in greater detail during our April
meeting in New York. This message is an attempt to gain feedback from the
broader membership on this proposal.

Some of the concerns that were expressed during the March '03 meeting
include: 1) the enormity of the task 2) questions about how to organize the
site 3) multiple definitions of the word "portal" 4) not wanting to
"re-invent the wheel " 5) evaluation criteria and how to keep the site
current. On the other hand, some of the noted benefits of producing a site
include: 1) positive PR; 2) another guide by trusted authorities; 3) as a
professional development tool; 4) a way of enhancing communication between
art librarians (particularly reference librarians); 5) increased visibility
and the potential to reach new patrons; 6) an efficient way for all art
librarians to stay up-to-date with selected new web sources. In short,
there is much to be gained from this activity.

The question then is: Do you think a web-based reference tool on the best
free art-related sites, selected and organized by a RISS task force, would
be of use to art librarians? You are welcome to elaborate on your response.
You may either write to me directly (address below) or respond to the list
if you would like to reply with comments. Thank you, in advance, for your
thoughts on this matter. We are all looking forward to a lively discussion.

Please respond by March 17.

Martha Walker
Fine Arts Librarian
Sibley Dome