  I find the use of the term "free" very interesting in such discussions.
At the Indiana University Libraries we provide "free access" to our IU
patrons for online databases on which we spend $1.5 million annually.  Are
these really "free"?  For users outside the University to have access to
this material and to the web, they must purchase a network ID for $5.00
which covers one month of use--a remarkably cheap deal!  The purchase of a
network ID is more an issue of system security than of charges for access.
Free access is only provided to the online catalog (OPAC).
  BJ Kish Irvine, Indiana University

B. J. Kish Irvine, Ph.D.
Fine Arts Librarian
Indiana University