Ms. Missner:

We can offer the following items---all taken from Frances-Suzman Jowell, “Vermeer and Thoré-Bürger : Recoveries of Reputation” in Gasket & Jonker, edd., Studies in the History of Art 55 (Washington, 1998), pages 35-58.  Perhaps the library copy of this volume nearest to Appleton would be the one listed in the catalogue of the University of Wisconsin, Green Bay.

“One may presume [that A Lady Standing at the Virginal] was purchased sometime between 1860 and 1876 from the German dealer Otto Mündeler for 500 francs.”  (Jowell, p. 40)

“As shown in a recently published letter, [Woman with a Pearl Necklace] was bought from Henry Grevedon in June 1866 with 4,000 francs borrowed from his friend Léopold Double” (p. 41)

Bürger  was able to purchase A Lady Seated at the Virginal for a mere 2,000 francs in 1867 . . .”  (p. 49)

Bruce Hebblethwaite, the National Gallery’s cataloguer of art auction and sales publications, checked the reference cited in Lugt for the Hotel Drouot sale of the Thoré-Burger collection, of 5 Dec. 1892.  The Concert brought FF29.000 then.  A little more investigation into the Gardner picture (e.g. other papers by Jowell, or books on Thoré-Bürger) might well reveal the price T-B paid after he “discovered” it in 1805.  I can continue in that vein, if no one else on the list is already taking the time to work on it.

Best,

John Hagood

Reference Librarian

National Gallery of Art