Dear Colleagues,

My thanks to all who took the time to respond to my inquiry on the correction prounciation of the term "animalier."  The responses overwhelmingly favored the French pronunciation "ah-nee-mah-leeay" (my approximation).

The curator of the Buffalo Bill Historical Center's Whitney Gallery of Western Art sent a query to Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary to see what their explanation was for the "animal ear" version of the pronunciation. (Side note: Faith Pleasanton at the Metropolitan Museum has a delightful story regarding this pronuciation.) They obviously do not subscribe to the use of the French version.  If you are interested in reading what they had to say, I have pasted the query and the response at the end of this message.

Now -- the challenge.  Should we as a group contact the dictionary and voice our support of the pronunciation that prevails in art historical circles?  This is not a minor issue.  Our Web content developers have provided the Merriam-Webster pronunciation to visitors to our site. [http://www.bbhc.org/exhibitions/proctor.cfm]. We believe this to be a disservice. To access the definition and an audio of the pronunciation go to: http://www.merriamwebster.comand and fill in the query blank.

Cheers!

Frances

Frances B. Clymer
Librarian
McCracken Research Library
Buffalo Bill Historical Center
720 Sheridan Avenue
Cody, WY 82414

Telephone: 307-578-4063
email: [log in to unmask]

Here are the inquiry sent to Merriam-Webster and the reply received:

The audio pronunciation for the word "animalier" uses a pronunction that I have never heard used.
The print edition of Merriam Webster's Third International Dictionary, Unabridged, shows the following for the pronunciation of animalier: |an?m?|li(?)r.  The audio pronunciation does not include this pronunciation, although the art librarians whom we have contacted use this other pronunciation.  Would it be possible for someone to provide me with information on why the pronunciation that is used in the audio was chosen and why the other one was omitted.  Thank you for your attention to my request.

Sincerely yours,

Sarah  E. Boehme
Sarah E. Boehme, Ph.D.
The John S. Bugas Curator