Dear Shirley:

Two years ago I surveyed 34 small art museum libraries in the U.S. and Canada.  One of the survey questions dealt with OPACs.  The Excel survey document that includes the quantitative data, which I can e-mail to you, includes a pop-up "Comments" section that gives the names of the OPAC software (if any) used by the participating libraries.  There is a link to the survey documents, by the way, on the ARLIS website in the Museum Libraries section.  However, the pop-up Comments are not available in that version.  So just let me know if you're interested and I'll be glad to send you the interactive version.  At the time the survey was conducted, 76.5% of the respondents had their own OPACs with 17 different software systems reported.  There is additional information about the survey (including the use of OPACs) in an article in the current Art Documentation, although the OPAC software titles are not listed there.

Joan Benedetti
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Robinson, Shirley J
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 7:33 AM
  Subject: [ARLIS-L] OPAC Vendor Recommendations Needed

  Hello,

  Although I've been a member for a while, this is the first message I've ever sent to the list.  I am the Slide Curator for the Department of Art and Design at Winthrop Univ. in Rock Hill, SC fulltime, and work part-time at the Mint Museum of Art in Charlotte, NC.  It is for the Mint Museum that I am sending this query.

  The Mint Museum strongly desires to automate its library, which still uses a card catalog.  It currently has a collection of about 15,000 volumes and grows by about 1,000-2,000 volumes per year mainly through donations.  We are hoping to make the collection searchable through the web in order to serve the surrounding community better (there are 4 major universities and 30 smaller colleges in the region that we serve, in addition to other users.

  Can those of you at similar institutions with similar sized collections recommend vendors of OPACs and automation services?  Thank you.

  Joy Robinson

  Slide Curator

  Department of Art and Design

  Winthrop University

  Rock Hill, SC

  Email: [log in to unmask]]

  Phone: 803-323-2668

  Assistant Slide Librarian

  Mint Museum of Art

  Charlotte, NC

  Email: [log in to unmask]

  Phone: 704-337-2065

  __________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]