The ARLIS/NA Northwest Chapter invites you ...

to its Winter Meeting, Feb. 13-15, 2004, in Tacoma, Washington.
THE ART OF NORTHWEST LIVING, our meeting's theme, is appropriate for a
city that has emerged as a cultural arts hub amidst the natural beauty
of the region.

With Mt. Rainier as its backdrop, Tacoma is the home of several
important museums designed by famous contemporary architects as well
as the site of many distinctive renovation and restoration projects.

Among featured speakers is Dr. Julie Nicoletta (Univ. of Washington,
Tacoma), author of "The Architecture of the Shakers" (Norton,1995) and
"Buildings of Nevada" (Oxford, 2000).

Sharon Winters, Resource Center Coordinator, Tacoma Art Museum will
host our meeting at the new museum, designed by Antoine Predock.
http://www.tacomaartmuseum.org/

+ PROGRAM:

Friday, Feb. 13--Dinner, TBA

Saturday, Feb. 14 (Tacoma Art Museum)

 9:30 a.m.-10:00 a.m.  Meet & Greet
10:00 a.m.-10:45 a.m.  Chapter Business Meeting
10:45 a.m.-12:00 a.m.  "Tacoma's Landmarks," Dr. Julie Nicoletta,
Univ. of Washington, Tacoma
12:00 p.m.- 1:30 p.m.  Lunch
 1:30 p.m.- 2:15 p.m.  "The Tacoma Building Database," Brian Kamens,
Tacoma Public Library
 2:15 p.m.- 5:00 p.m.  Museum visits
 7:00 p.m.             Dinner, TBA

Sunday, Feb. 15

11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.  Univ. of Washington Campus
12:00 p.m.- 1:30 p.m.  Lunch
 1:00 p.m.- 5:00 p.m.  Museum visits

Museum venues: Tacoma Art Museum, Museum of Glass, Washington State
Historical Museum

------------------------------------

+ REGISTRATION:
Anyone interested in the topics is welcome to attend. Please forward
this message to interested parties.  There will be a registration fee
of $15 USD payable on site.  RSVP by February 6.  We will follow up
with inquiries about dinner  interests and arrangements for Friday and
Saturday evening.
* RSVP to: Ed Teague ([log in to unmask])

+ LODGING:
The Sheraton Tacoma has a special rate for meeting attendees who
reserve by January 31, 2004.
Book through Carmen McIntyre (253-591-4110) or
[log in to unmask] and note that you're with ARLIS/NW.
Single or double room is $99 + tax ($112.37/night). We have 10 rooms
blocked at this rate for the nights of Feb.13 and 14th.

+ TRANSPORTATION:
Tacoma is easily accessible by plane, train, and automobile.
Easy light rail connections to the hotel and art museum are available
from the train and transit stations.  Express buses are available from
the airport.  For more travel info, check out the Visitors section,
Tacoma Visitors Bureau website (below). Conference venues and hotel
are all in walking distance of each
other.

+ CONTACTS:
For more information about local arrangements:
Sharon Winters, Resource Center Coordinator, Tacoma Art Museum

+ IMPORTANT LINKS:
Museum of Glass/Intl. Museum of Contemporary Art
  http://www.museumofglass.org
Sheraton Tacoma
  http://www.sheratontacoma.com/
Tacoma Art Museum