Dear Michelle,
At the Jefferson Library (serving staff, research fellows, and visitors to
Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello) we are cataloging auction catalogs
selectively when they contain object categories and/or specific lots of
relevance to TJ and his life & times.  We classify together by auction house
and order by date/sale in two separate categories:  art & decorative arts,
books & manuscripts.  Individual catalogs are chosen for treatment when we
determine that a contents note or summary of one or more lots will assist
researchers to find information of particular value, including images.  The
cataloging records are going into our online catalog, the Thomas Jefferson
Portal, http://tjportal.monticello.org/, so that users' searches will pull
these items up as well as all other types of cataloged resources.  To
facilitate narrowed searches, we are adding series tracings for each auction
house, and we apply one or more of these LCSH:
        Art--Auction catalogs
        Decorative arts--Auction catalogs
        Manuscripts--Auction catalogs
        Rare books--Auction catalogs

Here are links to a few sample records

http://tjportal.monticello.org/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v2=14&ti=1,14&SEQ=20040
112131815&Search_Arg=sotheby%27s+christie%27s&CNT=10&Search_Code=FT*&DB=loca
l&SID=1

http://tjportal.monticello.org/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v2=15&ti=1,15&SEQ=20040
112131817&Search_Arg=sotheby%27s+christie%27s&CNT=10&Search_Code=FT*&DB=loca
l&SID=1

http://tjportal.monticello.org/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v2=16&ti=1,16&SEQ=20040
112132013&Search_Arg=sotheby%27s+christie%27s&CNT=10&Search_Code=FT*&DB=loca
l&SID=1

http://tjportal.monticello.org/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v2=17&ti=1,17&SEQ=20040
112132131&Search_Arg=sotheby%27s+christie%27s&CNT=10&Search_Code=FT*&DB=loca
l&SID=1

One last note:  we have the luxury of doing this specialized cataloging
treatment because we receive only a few hundred auction catalogs per year
from which we select only a few dozen for full cataloging.

Cheers,

-- jack

Jack Robertson.  Foundation Librarian.  Jefferson Library
Thomas Jefferson Foundation
P.O. Box 316.  Charlottesville, VA  22902
434-984-7545  ||  434-984-7546 fax
[log in to unmask]  ||  www.monticello.org/library