The general-interest magazines could be offered to a prison library.
(A cautionary note: If the items have mailing labels bearing your
personal name -- not just the institutional name -- then the labels
should be removed or effaced before donation to the prison.  Perhaps
a museum volunteer could help with this.)

Does the Santa Barbara Public Library system hold a book sale?
Even if they don't need the periodicals for their own collection,
they might be able to get rid of them during a sale.

--K.A. Bayruns
   Seattle, Washington