This query is forwarded to ARLIS-L with the inquirer's permission.
See her contact information at the end of the message.

Norine Duncan
Brown University

>>From: [log in to unmask]
>>Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:07:42 EST
>>Subject: Happy Rockefeller portrait
>>
>>Hello. I am writing the biography of American artist Paul Swan (1883-1972),
>>who starred in three Warhol films, exhibited paintings in the teens with
>>Robert
>>Henri and John Butler Yeats, and was known as "the most beautiful man in the
>>world."
>>
>>In the 60s he painted Happy Rockefeller.  Do you know how I can get in touch
>>with anyone who might know where that portrait is and any details on that
>>portrait? Other famous portraits he excuted in the 60s included Pope Paul
>>VI and
>>Malachy McCourt.
>>
>>See paulswan.net for more information on Paul Swan. I have recently published
>>a long article on him in PRODIGAL FATHER REVISITED: ARTISTS AND WRITERS IN
>>THE WORLD OF JOHN BUTLER YEATS (Locust Hill, 2003), and there are several
>>pages
>>on Swan in my DEAR YEATS, DEAR POUND, DEAR FORD: JEANNE ROBERT FOSTER AND HER
>>CIRCLE OF FRIENDS (Syracuse U. Press, 2001). The John and Mable Ringling
>>Museum of Art owns 17 portraits by Swan, including a self portrait in his
>>costume
>>for De Mille's 1923 TEN COMMANDMENTS, in which Swan played the captain of the
>>Pharaoh's guard.
>>
>>I am currently completing Swan's biography, and am also acting as agent for
>>the family to place some of his portraits in public institutions with
>>only the
>>requirement of restoration.
>>Thank you for any information on the Rockefeller portrait.  I don't know how
>>to connect with the family.
>>
>>Janis Londraville
>>Dept. of English
>>SUNY Potsdam
>>Currently in Venice, FL at 941-493-2916

J. Londraville adds: MY PHONE HERE IN
VENICE FLA, WHERE I AM SPENDING THIS YEAR, IS 941-493-2916.  MY MAILING
ADDRESS IS EITHER JANIS LONDRAVILLE, 1712 CAMBRIDGE DRIVE, VENICE FL 34293
(BEST
ADDRESS) OR DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH, STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK AT POTSDAM,
POTSDAM NY 13676.  EMAIL IS [log in to unmask]  OR   [log in to unmask]

BESIDE THE HAPPY ROCKEFELLER PORTRAIT, I AM LOOKING FOR ANY ART WORK OF
SWAN'S, OR ANY INFORMATION ABOUT HIM. HIS SCRAPBOOKS ARE NOW AT THE RINGLING
MUSEUM, AS IS A COPY OF HIS UNPUBLISHED AUTOBIOGRAPHY (WHICH STOPS AT 1943).