Dear Margaret
Groves Dictionary of Art has a good section under "Islamic art". Look
under "subject matter", then "religious themes". It relates that the
Prophet Muhammad was initially portrayed from Christian prototypes and
that depictions culminated in the Ottoman era.
There are examples.
Hope this helps

Diana E.M. Cooper                 604-822-3943
Fine Arts Reference Librarian
Fine Arts Library
University of British Columbia
1956 Main Mall                        [log in to unmask]