Lynn,
If you go to the following link: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/index.html and
click on ARLIS-L you will be able to search the archives.  You are a
subscriber to the list and the archives are up for public viewing, so this
should not be a problem.  I did my own search using the terms cataloging,
native, American and got three hits, one was your message below, the other
a posting about the VRA conference in April and the third was something
that looks more like what you are after.  You can also get that message
sent to you directly by sending a command to LISTSERV.

Send a message to:
No subject line, no signature files or other text added on to your message,
and in the body of the email type the following command:
GETPOST ARLIS-L 018343

That number is the archived number for that particular posting.  I would
also recommend searching the archives yourself, there could be other things
there that I missed in my rather quick and dirty search.

Good luck,
Kerri Scannell
ARLIS-L Moderator