... some points of interest, perhaps, for ARLIS/NA members and leadership.

-- jack

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *
Jack Robertson.  Foundation Librarian.  Jefferson Library
Thomas Jefferson Foundation
P.O. Box 316.  Charlottesville, VA  22902
434-984-7545  ||  434-984-7546 fax
[log in to unmask]  ||  www.monticello.org/library
=======
Special Libraries Association
BOARD.COM
November 2003

Cindy Hill
President, Special Libraries Association

Hello Association Members:

The Association has been quite busy during the past months and I would like
to take this opportunity to provide you with
some highlights of our recent activities.

The Board now meets monthly via a conference call to discuss association
matters and to plan for upcoming meetings.
In addition, we use the one-hour call to learn about topics of interest to
us. Recently we met to discuss our draft vision,
mission and value statements (which we finalized and adopted during our Fall
Board meeting), Janice Lachance, Jesus Lau
and I gave a brief overview of the IFLA conference (there will be a full
report in an upcoming Information Outlook),
Barb Spiegelman led us through a strategic planning discussion, and Lynn
Smith has been keeping us informed about the sale
of our building and the search for a new building.

2003 Fall Board Meeting
The Board of Directors held the fall meeting October 23-24, 2003 in
Alexandria, Virginia. I had the privilege of presenting the
SLA Staff Service Awards to five individuals. In 1990, the Board of
Directors approved the SLA Staff Service Awards Program
to honor staff for their years of service and dedication to the Association.
Tamara Coombs, Alicia Dimaio, Natasha Jones, and
Linda Broussard were recognized for five years of service to SLA. And
Michael Wright was recognized for ten years of service.
On behalf of the association members, thank you to all of you for your
ongoing contributions to SLA's success. You are appreciated!

Here's a quick recap of some of the key decisions we made and actions we
took during our fall meeting.

* SLA Vision, Mission and Core Value Statements: Based on our members' and
our Chapter and Division leaders' recent
comments, we have created and approved new vision, mission and core value
statements. These three statements will be
the foundation for the development of future programs and projects.

* Executive Director's 2003/04 Objectives: Janice's objectives are directly
related to our new Vision, Mission and Core Value
statements and focus on three key areas: advocacy, networking, and
education.

* The Board ratified the electronic vote of the purchase of SLA's new
headquarters

* FY 2004 Budget: The Finance Committee spent a day reviewing our finances
for this year and the upcoming budget year,
 making recommendations on how the funds should be allocated. The Board used
their recommendations to review the budget
and approve it.

* Approved the merger of Social Science and Geography and Map Divisions.

* 2005 Winter Meeting will be held in Tampa, Florida.

* Two Learning Events: During our strategic planning day, which
traditionally is the day before our Board meeting, we used our
lunch break for two learning opportunities. As part of the Board's fiduciary
responsibilities, Scott Smiley showed us how to interpret
the SLA monthly financial reports and Renee Massoud gave us an overview of
the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.

If you would like more information about the Board meeting, use the
following link to see the agenda and documents:
<http://www.sla.org/Documents/boarddocs/04docs/openaga.1003.doc>

Purchase of SLA's New Headquarters
At the June 2003 Board meeting, we approved that our current building would
be placed on the market for sale and that SLA
would lease or purchase a new property for our headquarters.  Since then, we
have been busy working on the sale of our current
space and the acquisition of new space.  Lynn Smith and her team found real
estate that fit all the parameters of our space needs
and we have signed a contract to purchase the building. It's located in
Alexandria, Virginia, and will meet the Association's current
and future needs.  The property is located at 331-335 South Patrick Street,
very close to a Metro station. We have accepted the
government of India's purchase offer for our current headquarters (1700 18th
Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 2009). They are
currently in their study phase, which is to be completed by November 30,
2003. We will determine the close date which
won't occur any later than April 30, 2004.

The preliminary figures relating to the sale of the current building and the
purchase of the new headquarters include:  We are selling
the current headquarters for the gross profit on the sale of approximately
$6 million--in excess of the original asking price!  We will
be reinvesting just over $5 million in the new headquarters.  The remaining
profit will be invested in a principle-protected fund
as directed by previous Board action.  The current Board will discuss the
purpose of the funds at the June 2004 Board meeting.
In addition to the net profit related to the current sale and purchase,
there are significant cost savings over time that will be
recognized which include:  a reduction in the annual building capitalization
plan (an average savings of $100,000 per year)
as well as the savings over time related to the reduced staff time related
to managing a historic building ($30,000 per year savings).
This is an exciting time for us as we move towards our vision of the 21st
century information professional and being the association for that
professional - us!

In the Next Issue
In our next BOARD.COMmuniqué, Ethel Salonen, President-elect, Janice
Lachance, Executive Director, and I will be updating
you on our recent meetings and visits to chapters, regional conferences, and
other special events.

Cindy