ARLIS-L subscribers,
Please read this message carefully.  It is very important.  I will try to be as brief as possible.

Two years ago this month I made some changes to the listserv to help keep communication on the list flowing better and keep the work on my end more manageable.  Those changes have worked well for us these past two years.  However, the work on my end has increased exponentially due to the amount of SPAM circulating through the Internet.  It has become unbearable.  So I am now planning on making another change to the list.

The change I make should not effect anyone who is a subscriber to the list and whose address is correct (to the letter!) in their subscription.  It will effect people who regularly post to the list with offers of duplicate journals, job announcements, and so forth but are not subscribed.  Those individuals will also not see this message, but I'll deal with that.

If your address has changed in any way (your ID, your server name, etc.) you may also be effected by this change!  Check with me if you think there is even a remote possibility that there is a difference between your email address in your subscription compared to what is on your outgoing messages.

As I have said in the past, you can have a domain or server name change in your email address and still receive mail.  Most Institutions will continue to allow mail to be received by the old address and they just have it forwarded to the new one.  That's fine for receiving ARLIS-L mail, but if you ever want to post, you'll have a problem.  With this change, a difference in email address will cause the system to not recognize you as a subscriber and reject your posting out right.  Up until now, a difference in email address meant that instead of sending your posting to the list directly, it was rerouted to me first for my approval.  This will no longer happen.

The change I am making will now mean you have to be a subscriber to post anything.  I have in the past gotten mail from non-subscribers which is sent directly to me for approval.  But this causes a whole lot of spam to be sent to me, and I'm more than sick of it (not to mention sick from looking at it!)  To be a subscriber means that your email address must be the same between your subscription and your outgoing mail.  I expect this to cause some headaches at the beginning, but over time it will work much more to our advantage.

To keep the spammers away, I will still have to approve all new subscribers and new subscribers will be on review status until such time that I take them off (this is not a change, I do it now).  If you have any questions or want to double check your email address with me please let me know.  Also, if you know anyone who regularly posts, but does not subscribe to the list, please inform them of this change and that they will not be able to post unless they subscribe.

Thank you,
Kerri

Kerri A. Scannell
Fine Arts Librarian, Technical Services
Lucille C. Little Fine Arts Library
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40506-0224
(859) 257-4630
"Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
--Muriel Strode
__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]