From: SLA [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 2:31 PM
To: Broadcast Communications
Subject: A Message from SLA's Executive Director

A Message from the Executive Director:

The First 100 Days: Setting the Tone for a New Vision

Greetings SLA Members:

I have just completed my first 100 days as Executive Director. I would like to take this opportunity to fill you in on the status of some of the projects that I have actively been involved in, and what I will be focusing on in the near future. I have had the good fortune to meet with many of you, whether at the annual conference in New York, at chapter meetings, or other industry events. During that same period, I have also met with several key organizations such as our corporate partners and related association executives in order to enhance our communications, advance our common goals, and explore opportunities for future alliances.

In August, I had the exceptional opportunity to attend the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) Annual Conference in Berlin, Germany. I met and talked with heads of library organizations from around the world, in addition to international sponsors, vendors, and partners during my stay in Berlin. Following the IFLA conference, I went on to London, England where I met with SLA members, (what a wonderful group of individuals!) corporate partners, and current and former SLA leaders. I also participated in a focus group with SLA's European Chapter.

To date, I am pleased to report that nineteen SLA Chapters have expressed interest in meeting with me for a chapter visit. I have already met formally with members of the European, New York, and North Carolina Chapters and informally with members of additional chapters. I also had the opportunity to spend time with some SLA Past Presidents to gain their insights on the information profession and the Association's future. These meetings have been very beneficial to me, as I am learning a great deal about SLA's multi-faceted culture, its rich history, and traditions. The members, who have provided me with valuable information and great ideas, have greatly impressed me and I welcome your continued input and feedback. The past three months have shown me that SLA members are much more than just information professionals. SLA's members have high values; they are committed and dedicated to the advancement of the Association and the information industry.

As a member of the Strategic Planning Committee, I have actively participated in the revision of the Association's vision, mission, and values statements. This strategic endeavor folds nicely into the branding of this Association, which has been a major component of my initial time at SLA.

I recently participated in my first Association Office Operations Committee (AOOC) and Finance Committee meetings. I drafted proposed performance objectives statements for the coming year, which are currently under review by the Board of Directors. The objectives are closely related to the revised vision and mission statements, as well as sound macro management of the Association's products and services, staff, and finances. I have engaged with the staff to learn about their program plans, budgets, and ideas for the future.

General impressions: It has been a wonderful experience to join an association that is sound and moving forward. Credit must be given to the highly competent SLA staff for all of their patience, hard work, and putting forward solid products and services with limited resources. This, coupled with the Association's leadership, which has also been supportive and 100% committed to the well being of this association, has prepared SLA to meet the challenges and create opportunities for the future. SLA has a proud tradition of being a forward thinking organization, and this is due in large part to the tremendous amount of time and commitment of our dedicated members.

Plans for change: While I do not see the need for a major internal overhaul, I do find merit in tweaking what exists. For example, I am having positions filled that have remained vacant during this time of transition, which will result in an enhanced communications program that will champion your profession and promote the value you provide to your employers and to the general public. I am also happy to report that there is good news about the SLA headquarters building. As you know, we placed the building on the real estate market this summer. So far, we have received two bids over our asking price. While we can never rely on things going 100% smoothly, until closing, we are currently working with the highest offer or whoever meets our purchase requirements. We are also nearing a final decision on the purchase of a new headquarters building in Old Town, Alexandria (Virginia) where a large number of associations have relocated in recent years. It is located a few miles from our current headquarters and convenient to the DC Metro mass transit system.

The Chinese have a famous saying, "May you live in interesting times." I have arrived at SLA just when a prominent recruitment firm identified corporate librarian as a "hot job" and when a west coast toy maker has manufactured a "librarian action doll." We are definitely living in interesting times and I look forward to sharing the excitement with you over the next several months.

Thanks again for making this a great experience!

Janice R. Lachance
Executive Director

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]