Dear Judy and ARLIS members,

I believe Ray Smith has also addressed this topic with cogent
and valid comments.  As a librarian who has been active in collection
development for many years, I have established a good working relationship
with a number of booksellers who are ARLIS members of long standing.
I would support a policy which restricts posting of business
announcements to booksellers who are members of ARLIS.
Those booksellers who are new on the scene should be encouraged to become
members, participate in ARLIS conferences.  Not only are many art
librarians nearing retirement but also booksellers.  I think ARLIS and the
new booksellers would benefit.  Meanwhile, I encourage ARLIS members not
to forget our ARLIS bookseller members in our collection development
activities.  It is easy to check AddAll for an out of print title, but
independent booksellers like Ray Smith have large inventories with only a
fraction being listed on AddAll and they can often supply catalogues or
lists on specific topics.

Sincerely,
Jet Prendeville, Art/Architecture Librarian
Brown Fine Arts Library
Rice University
Houston, TX