Hey all!

As a proud owner of the librarian action figure, all I can say is that I
love it! She's going on my desk at work as soon as I can pry her out of the
hands of my four year old.

How many other fairly mundane jobs have their own action figures? I haven't
seen any project manager figures or assistant directors in charge of
whatever figures.

So what if she's a bit stereotypical? When dealing with pop culture you
have to make artistic decisions to get your point across. (See, I'm getting
this back to a discussion on art ;-) ) Unfortunately the stereotypes of
librarians aren't all that stylish (though I'll take being though of as
dowdy if  it means that I'm also thought of as intelligent).

If they had created a stylish librarian with a short skirt, platform shoes,
and a spikey hair-do would anyone believe it was a librarian? We have jobs
that require us to move around a lot, including climbing ladders and getting
down on the floor and mucking around in dusty places.

At least they got the hair-do right! (I saw far more ladies with hair cuts
like the action figure's do at the ARLIS conference in B'more than those
sporting my ever-so-retro ;-) bun.)

Take care and be sure to "shhh" someone today, we all need the practice
;-)

**michelle mcdaniel**
Archives of American Art
Smithsonian Institution