Hello all,
ARLIS-Ontarians are looking forward to an exciting Art-Deco themed Fall
Meeting in Toronto, on October 17, to which we wish to invite our
colleagues in other chapters of ARLIS and CARLIS.

First, we immerse ourselves in the ambiance and spirit of  the Arts and
Letters Club ("hang-out" of the Group of Seven painters) 14 Elm St.
(just west of Yonge St.) for our business meeting and lunch.
http://home.interlog.com/~artslets/history.html

Next, a rare opportunity to see The Carlu  (the former Eaton
Auditorium, on the 7th floor of College Park) 444 Yonge St., 7th Floor
(corner of Yonge & College). Designed by French architect Jacques Carlu
in 1929, the restoration completed early this year makes this one of the
finest examples of the Art Moderne style anywhere. The elegant dining
rooms and excellent acoustics made this an attractive venue for many
prestigious events in its hey-day, and now does again. Please visit this
site:  http://www.thecarlu.com/.

Next, at the Royal Ontario Museum we enjoy a guided tour of the
fabulous Art Deco, 1910-1939 Exhibition organized by the Victoria and
Albert Museum in London. When you read the description at
http://www.rom.on.ca/  you will hardly be able to wait to see
this...

COST:  $30 all inclusive (payable on 17th October)
RSVP:  ASAP!! Please contact Daniel Payne ([log in to unmask]) if you
plan on attending
We do need to start finalizing attendance/menus for this, so we
encourage all to RSVP as soon as possible.  We feel the the prospect of
seeing the A & L and receiving lunch there, the Carlu (not usually
opened to the public), and a guided tour of the ROM's new exhibit will
prove well worth the fee, and encourage people to commit to this event.

We are most excited by this and hope to see many of you on the 17th.

for the ARLIS-Ontario Board,
Hildegard Lindschinger, Chair

Hildegard Lindschinger
Slide Curator
Wilfrid Laurier University Library, Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3C5
Tel: 519-884-0710, x3444   *   Email: [log in to unmask]