I have been asked to post to ARLIS-L the ad below for the newly
redefined position of Director of the Visual Media Center in the Art
History Dept. of Columbia University. This position, in its previous
incarnation, is one that I held for five years until April 2003. I would
be happy to answer any questions regarding the department or
collections. The position's scope and responsibilities have changed
somewhat since I left so specific questions regarding these elements I
may be unable to answer.

I will say that my five years there were, while challenging in many
respects, also rewarding and stimulating. The collections and facilities
are very impressive and the faculty are learned and engaged. I can be
reached at 212-229-8915.

******************************

The Department of Art History and Archaeology at Columbia University
is still accepting applications for the Director of the Visual
Media Center.  Please submit applications via the website at
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/jobs/.  Select "Columbia Job
Opportunities--Morningside Campus, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
and Nevis Laboratories."

Position Announcement
Job ID- 82947777
Title - Category- DIRECTOR - General Administration
Department - ART HIST & ARCHAEOL
Location - Morningside Campus
Type - Officer
Shift - Full-Time
Salary Grade - 013
Salary - Commensurate with experience.
Special Notes - New
Date Posted - 6/30/2003
Position ID - 1007633
Summary Description
Reporting to the Chair, and with consultation with the faculty
committees, the incumbent is responsible for the organization,
planning, and management of the Art History Department Visual Media
Center.  The Visual Media collection serves over 150 classes a
year, including more than 60 in the University's CORE curriculum,
for over 2500 graduate and undergraduate students.  The Director
manages the transition to a fully digital Center, researching and
recommending new technology, managing the processing and cataloging
of digital and analog images and slides, and advising and training
faculty and students on new technical functionality.  The incumbent
develops long term stategic plans, develops and implements policies
and procedures, and oversees the development and maintenance of
departmental and course web pages.  He/she is responsible for
keeping abreast of developing technology and for continued
recommendation of relevant technological changes.  The incumbent
supervises the Center's research facility, which pioneers web
appplication in art hstory and performs grant funded research
projects for departmental faculty.  The Director oversees staff
responsible for the Center's database, generating reports on
circulation and other aspects of the collection and maintaining
records of working materials and funds.  Working closely with the
University Development and Alumni Relations (UDAR) office and with
departmental faculty, the incumbent identifies funding sources and
coordinates, identifies, cultivates, solicits and recognizes major
donors and prospects.  With the Chair and UDAR, the Director is
responsible for presenting the misssion of the Center, as well as
explaining individual project development.  In conjunction with the
faculty, he/she develops digital project initiatives for grant
proposal development and writes grant proposals.  The Director
assumes responsiblity for the Center's adminstrative and
programmatic budgets, supervises the Business Manager and is
responsible for the management of all grants, gifts, and
endowments, ensuring compliance with all policies of granting
agencies, advising chair and faculty committees of historic level
of spending, and developing budgets and reports as needed.  He/she
is responsible for the hiring, firing, training, and supervision of
all the Center's administrative, support, and technical staff.

Qualifications
Bachelor's degree required, advanced Degree in Art History and or
MLS strongly preferred.  A minimum of five years related experience
required.  Excellent management, fundraising and writing skills
necessary, as well as strong knowledge of digital techology,
cataloging and curatorial skills, and advanced knowledge of
database design.

Andrew P. Gessner
Director, Gimbel Library
Parsons School of Design