Dear ARLIS members,

This message really concerns anyone in ARLIS who is actively involved in the cataloging of art materials in a professional, or paraprofessional, capacity.

Help is really needed with this issue.  I know that this type of discussion has appeared before on this and probably other listservs, but I could use some specific and current information about how to communicate that art catalog librarians/paraprofessional catalogers are really not clerks or data processors--no offense to those who function in those capacities--and what it is we do that makes us professional/paraprofessional.

Citations from specific articles, books, chapters in books and/or conference contributions stressing the intellectual or managerial activities of catalogers are needed, and. more importantly, your relevant comments.

Also needed is information about how librarians and paraprofessional catalogers are ranked; I know that many universities have a ranking system of 1-IV for Librarians and/or Librarian Assistants.  A brief definition of the skills and activities required for each ranking would be extremely useful.  Also, is any difference in salary or ranking made because of job function?

Catalogers of art materials have often not made it into the range of "professional" in terms of pay and it would appear that we must be able to explain in detail, but as simply as possible in "layman's terms," what it is we do.  This is not so for all types of librarians.  For example:

Everyone seems to know what an art reference librarian does and most people wouldn't want to try to answer all the tricky art questions that reference librarians are asked to deal with--so art reference librarians must have quite a background in art history and therefore, they are "professional."

And the art acquisitions librarians order, and sometimes choose, and pay for books--so they must be "professional," if only like a CPA who reads or looks at art books.

Collection development librarians are"professional" because who else but someone with an impressive background in art/art history would know what books and materials to order out of all those many choices?

But art catalogers just set and type and fill out those numbered computer fields, so their work is really just clerical, non-managerial, and definitely non-professional.  This void of perception is particularly true in the area of catalogers' "management" activities, which is a prime factor used by most human resource depts in determining salaries; catalogers are not perceived as "managers" even though we do a great deal of "managing" and teaching.  As we all know, most art catalogers do not arrive actually knowing how to catalog or possessed of foreign language skills in the areas of art, art history or publishing. And catalogers teach them and manage their work and revise their cataloging; sounds managerial/supervisory to me--we just often do not get paid for this work.

How can we effectively, but simply, explain the vast pool of knowledge, experience, and flexibility necessary to produce a proffesional/paraprofessional art cataloger?

Any simple, enlightening explanation for the uninformed would be much appreciated...

Please respond personally to me rather than to the list and I will try to post a synopsis of replies to the list at a later date.

Thanking you in advance...

Jane Zander
Senior Catalog Librarian
Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
4525 Oak Street
Kansas City, MO 64111

__________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org//membership.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner (Kerri Scannell) at: [log in to unmask]