Dear ARLIS: I have a patron who believes that there is a term describing
the painted decorations on open beam work in old European houses. I have
searched architecture dictionaries such as Oxford Dictionary of
Architecture, Elements of Style,  Banister Fletcher's History and come
up with anemic ideas such as stencil and frieze.  Can any of you suggest
a source or a term? Thanks!  Jeri Byrne, Fine Arts Reference, Beverly
Hills PL