Some time ago I posted an inquiry as to whether there is a core list of
periodicals that every art library, no matter how small, should have. I
received only 2 responses, and the response below, compliments of Matt
Wiggins of the Chrysler Museum of Art, was the only one that included a list
of titles. Thanks to Matt for sharing this!

Ellen Rohmiller                    Phone: 937-223-5277 ext. 350
Chief Librarian                     Fax: 937-223-3140
Dayton Art Institute              [log in to unmask]
456 Belmonte Pk N
Dayton OH 45405-4700

Coming first from an art history background there are some basic journals
that should not be cut.  Then depending on the strength of the institution's
collection there will be other key journals.  I've listed the most basic (at
least from my experience), then those titles that are key to our collection
which I also would not cut.  Also, if you're looking at a need to weed down
your subscriptions, look to see if other libraries in the general vicinity
(probably colleges or universities) have subscriptions to those titles.
Also how often does it get used by staff and/or the public and is it readily
available via ILL?  (I listed archaeology   titles, though we have cut them
from our collection as they are available at a local university 2 miles from
here and we no longer collect in ancient art.  I also did not list
architecture magazines, since they do not pertain to our collection and they
too have been cut, but if I were to carry an achitecture magazine/journal,
make sure it's scholarly, i.e. Domus, Progressive Architecture, maybe
Architectural Record as a general core. I wouldn't even bother with
Architectural Digest.  We also have an architecture library at another
university within about 20 min.  Titles in parenthesis are titles we no
longer subscribe to, but are good journals in there areas.)  So here it
goes:

General titles:
African Art
Art Bulletin
Art Journal
(Art of the Americas)
Antiques/The Magazine Antiques
American Art Review
American Ceramics
American Funiture (Chipstone Foundation annual)
(American Journal Of Archaeology)
Apollo
Aperture
(Archaeology)
Art History
Art in America
Art Newspaper
Art on Paper/On Paper
Artforum
Artibus Asiae
Artibus et Historiae
Arte Veneta
(Arts of Asia)
Bollettino d'Arte
Burlington Magazine, The
Camera Work
Ceramics in America (Chipstone Foundation annual)
Contemporary
Crafts
Gazette des Beaux-arts (if they restart publication)
(Gesta)
International Review of African American Art
Journal of Glass Studies
Master Drawings
Metropolitan Museum Bulletin
Metropolitan Museum Journal
Museum Magazine
New Art Examiner
New Criterion
October
(Orientations)
PDN/Photo District News
Pantheon (I think this may have ceased publication)
Revue des Arts/La Revue du Louvre, La
Silver
Storia dell'arte
Tema Celeste
Transactions of the Oriental Ceramic Society
Winterthur Portfolio

Other titles of specific interest to our collection that would not be cut:
Afterimage
American Artist
American Craft/Craft Horizons
American Glass
American Jewish History (we own & operate two historic houses including one
        from one of the first Jewish families in Virginia)
American Photo
Antologia di Belle Arti
Art and Auction
Art Calendar
Art Education
Art Press
B&W (Black and White)
Behold
Blackflash
Blind Spot
Bomb
Camera (French)
Camera (English)
Camera Austria
Center for Creative Photography
Chesopiean
Contact Sheet
Creative Camera/DPICT
Curator
Daguerrian Society Newsletter
Doubletake
European Photography
Exhibit Builder
Flickerings
Fogg Art Museum Harvard
FreEye/Free Eye
GAS News
Glass Art Society Journal
Glass Circle Journal
Glass Club Bulletin
Glass Cone
Glass
Hali
Historic Preservation
History of Photography
Hobstar, The
Journal of Aesthetic Education, The
Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, The
Journal of Early Southern Decorative Arts
Neues Glass=New Glass
New American Painting
Nineteenth Century
Notes on Virginia
Oud Holland
Paperweight Collector's Association Bulletin
Paragone Arte
Paragone Literatura
Photo Communique
Photo Metro
Photography Collector, The
Popular Photography
Print Quarterly
Public Historian
Rushlight, The
Simolus
Source
Stained Glass Quarterly
Stereo World
Vetro (currently in suspended publication)
Virginia Cavalcade
Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, The
Yale University Art Gallery Bulletin
21st: Journal of Contemporary Photography

We have very stong glass and photography collections and the addition of two
historic houses tend to skew our need for more specific journals that most
art libraries/museums would not have the direct need for.  You may also want
to include some design, fashion, interior decorating journals (Interiors,
Casa Bella).  As an educational institute, you would need to focus on the
curriculum being taught.  Consult the faculty and staff.  Here in the early
90's the decision was made to cancel Progressive Architecture and
Architectural Record and keep Architectural Digest.  I've dropped
Architectural Digest as well, since it is the "National Geographic" of the
architecture magazines.  Maybe these will help knock out a "core"
collection.  I'd be interested in seeing what others say.

Regards,
Matthew Wiggins
Library Manager
Jean Outland Chrysler Library