A professor needs help with the monogram in this image:

http://www.du.edu/~pkeeran/Monogram_500dpi.jpg

"Here is an image of the artist's monogram that I am trying to identify.
It is in the lower left corner of this detail of a pier from Harper's
Monthly Magazine (April, 1901) that illustrated an article by Woodrow
Wilson called "Colonies and Nations."  This artist did several of the
prints in that article.  He/she could have been a staff artist for
Harpers.

I can read the H. and F., but don't even know which comes first, and the
three dots after that could be anything.  Thanks for your help!"

Can anyone give me advice how to discover who the artist is?  Does anyone
know?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Peggy Keeran
Arts and Humanities Reference Librarian