A  patron of our newly opened joint City/University library (check out URL
below) is trying to find out background info on the following painting,
including who owns it now:

_Galileo Galilei Dictating His Observations to His Secretary_ (1870) by
Vincenzo Cesare Cantagalli. A brief entry in Benezit identifies the artist
only as a 19th century Italian painter born in Siena. Thieme-Becker hasn't
heard of him, nor has Art Full Text, Artist Biographies Master Index,
Dictionary of Art Online, or several other general art references. Our
link to BHA is down right now so I'm not able to check that.

Does this ring any bells with anyone? We've already spent about as much
time on this as we can, but one never knows what the collective mind of
ARLIS/NA will come up with.

Edith L. Crowe
Art & Humanities Librarian
San Jose State University Library
http://www.sjlibrary.org
(408) 808-2037

Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
http://www.mythsoc.org