Hi Marianne:
I would suggest that you research the whole issue of filtering, including
the various softwares, pretty thoroughly before installing anything.

I don't know how strongly your IT department is "recommending" this, but
they may be operating under some misconceptions about what is legally
necessary.  Despite the fact that you receive public funds, you probably
don't need to comply with CIPA. If you have a concern about this, you may
wish to consult ALA's CIPA Q & A
(pdf)
http://www.ala.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Our_Association/Offices/ALA_Washington/Issues2/Civil_Liberties,_Intellectual_Freedom,_Privacy/CIPA1/CIPAQA.pdfIt

This document states that the libraries to whom CIPA applies are: _public
libraries_ who a) receive E-rate discounts for Internet service, access or
internal connections; b) Funds under Title III of ESEA to purchase
computers used to access the Internet or to pay the direct costs of
accessing the Internet; or c) Funds from state LSTA to purchase computers
used to access the Internet or to pay the direct costs of accessing the
Internet.

There are other issues you will want to take special care with.  For
instance, the filter you select should be one that can quickly and easily
be disabled for any patron who asks.  CIPA was decided in a plurality
opinion-- though 6 of the justices shared a judgement in favor of CIPA,
they did so in three separate opinions.  The ruling, therefor includes some
of the narrower aspects of these decisions.  One aspect brought into play
by both Justice Kennedy and Justice Breyer, is the government's concession
that libraries must be able to disable the filters when patrons
request.  Kennedy opined that this must be done quickly in order to ensure
that access to protected speech is not impeded.
_If_it_is_not_done_quickly_or_easily_, then Kennedy clearly anticipated
that patrons will be able to successfully sue the government or their
libraries.  I'm not sure exactly how this might play out in a private
museum library.

To find out more about what the Supreme Court said about CIPA you may wish
to consult these sites:
If you want to look at the act, it can be found at
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c106:S.97.IS:

To find the ruling of the Supreme Court, go to:
http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/02pdf/02-361.pdf

ALA's CIPA pages also include links to a number of interpretations and
analyses of the new law:
http://www.ala.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Our_Association/Offices/ALA_Washington/Issues2/Civil_Liberties,_Intellectual_Freedom,_Privacy/CIPA1/CIPA.htm

If these arguments are ineffective and you find yourself researching
filters in preparation for installing one, the following page compares
various filters and discuss over- and under-blocking by different softwares:
http://www.ncac.org/issues/internetfilters.html
This page links to many different filtering products so that you can
compare their prices and functions:
http://www.multimediahouse.us/SearchResults.html?keyword=Statistics%20On%20Internet%20Filtering
Finally, this page offers links to filter reviews as well as other information:
http://www.tispa.org/info/kinnaman/filtering.htm#reviews

I sincerely hope that you can avoid installing filters on your library's
computers.  Good luck to you and I hope some of this information will help.

--Cara

>Date:    Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:11:22 -0500
>From:    Marianne Cavanaugh <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Internet filters on public workstations

>------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C35682.EDAF9430
>
>Hello,
>
>Our Information Technology department is suggesting (pretty strongly)
>that we install filters on our public internet stations.  Their point is
>that we are open to the public and do have underage users on our
>workstations at times.  We also receive public funds.
>
>I do not know much about the software.  Does your library have public
>stations with filters installed?  What software are you using? Do you
>have any public use policies or signage?
>
>I know, lots of questions..please respond to me at [log in to unmask] with
>any advice.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Marianne L. Cavanaugh
>Head Librarian
>Richardson Memorial Library
>Saint Louis Art Museum
>#1 Fine Arts Dr.
>Forest Park
>St. Louis, MO  63110
>(314) 655-5255
>(314) 721-6172 fax

Please notice that my email address has changed!
My new address is [log in to unmask]

Cara List
Art and Architecture Librarian
Architecture and Allied Arts Library