Expires After: 9/4/2003 00:00

Hi Leslie,
You make a good point, but there are several other strange classifications
you'll probably notice over time.  I work in a "Dewey" library, but as I
recall, photography is not in the N's; it's in the T's.  In Dewey, we have
costume design in 391, not in the 700's with the rest of the arts.
Screenplays are in the 790's, but how to write a screenplay is in the 800's.

Just the tip of the iceberg, I'm sure.
Andrea Segall

Andrea Segall
Berkeley Public Library  Art & Music Section
2090 Kittredge St., Berkeley CA, 94704
(510) 981-6236
fax: (510) 981-6219

>>> Leslie Andersen 07/30/03 02:26PM >>>
Hi - As a rather new *art* librarian (not new to librarianship but new
to collection development in art) I am puzzled as to why books on Native
American art and artists are classed in E 98 instead of the N's. I
notice that no other ethnicities (such as Asian-American art,
African-American art, etc.) are classed there. Can anyone shed some
light on this for me? I'm concerned that my students are never going to
find biographical information on Native-Americans there. Thanks very much -

Leslie

--
oš°`°šo,,,,oš°`°šoš°`°šo,,,,oš°`°šoš°`°šo
Leslie Andersen