From: Raymond Smith [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 5:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Books for sale by private patrons through ARLIS

As a longtime dues-paying member of ARLIS (since 1980) and a frequent
exhibitor at our annual conferences, it is my strong opinion that
private patrons should not have the privilege of offering rare books for
sale to the membership at large, especially since there are many
available venues for selling books privately or through the internet.
It is simply inappropriate for a non-member to have the advantage of an
institutional member's access to our discussion chatline for his or her
own personal profit, in direct competition with loyal business affiliate
members, period.  I hope the recent two offerings will not set a
precedent.
    Raymond Smith / R.W. Smith Bookseller, New Haven