Ron Chapman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Can anyone direct me to where I can obtain a bibliography or list
> of books on Islamic Art that can be used to build a core collection
> in this subject area?

You could start by looking at the on-line reference guide for Islamic art
which I put together for our library's website. In addition to reference
tools in the classic sense, it also includes titles of the most important
monographs dealing with specific subject fields and cultural/geographic
regions in the visual arts of the Islamic world:

Annotated bibliography by subject -
http://hcl.harvard.edu/finearts/IslamicReference/reference.html

Annotated bibliography by cultural or geographic region -
http://hcl.harvard.edu/finearts/IslamicReference/refregion.html

I hope you find it useful.  If you have any questions, comments
or suggestions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Andras
Andras J. Riedlmayer
Bibliographer
Documentation Center for Islamic Art and Architecture
Aga Khan Program
Fine Arts Library
Harvard University
http://hcl.harvard.edu/finearts/aga_khan.html