Ray Anne,
As a book artist I try to make all the parts of a book reflect the essence of
the subject of the book. This has led me to use some non traditional
materials for book covers. Some past (and sold out) books include "Sedona Scapes" with
clay covers to look the red rock that Sedona is famous for,
"White Sands" with a real sand dune in the cover, "Sky Islands", covered with
baby flannel to represent clouds. While these editions are sold out there are
a several collections in Pennsylvania that collect my books and you may be
able to arrange a loan.  These books can be viewed at:
http://www.mysticalplaces.com/archive.html

New books in the works include rusted steel for the covers of "Ship Wreck", a
clay cover with an real arrowhead imbedded for a book about cliff dwellings,
a book about winter with an ice cover (sanded Plexiglas), and another book
about sands dunes with a real moving sand dune encased in the cover. I also have
"Ukiyoe" a one of a kind with polymer clay covers that looks like opaque plast
ic (working on web page for this book).

Creating books is so much fun!

Jill Timm

In a message dated 6/3/03 9:18:04 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>I am interested in doing an exhibition in our library NEXT summer on
>books with unique covers/bindings.

Jill Timm
Mystical Places Press
Handcrafted artist books,