I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my questions about auction
catalog collections from a couple of weeks ago.  The replies were very
helpful and since a number of people showed interest in a summarized report
(many seeming to be in the same boat), here goes:
Collections of auction catalogs varied between 1,000 and 50,000.
There were those who felt that inadequate indexing was a major problem.
Some libraries have created databases for the catalogs using FileMaker Pro
or Access; some create serial records; most do not have the time or
resources to catalog them or provide finding aids, etc., although most
attempt to at least shelve them by auction house, date, place, etc.
Some librarians find that the auction catalogs are not used much; others
find that they are used a lot (predominantly by curators, as price guides,
for provenance information, and for illustrations, although the very old
catalogs do not provide as much useful information).  They are also used a
lot by art dealers.  And, as might be expected, the more easily accessible
they are, the more they are used and asked for.
Many librarians who are 'allowed' to weed at their own discretion, strongly
recommend keeping only those catalogs which are relevant to the
museum/institution's collection.   One suggestion was to share the
collection with another larger library in the region.   Some indicated that
it is not that difficult to obtain the needed information (from auction
catalogs) from other institutions, so that heavy weeding did not have to
seem like such a drastic measure, after all.
There were also some respondents interested in buying or being donated any
auction catalogs our library might decide to weed out.
I think that covers the major points.  As far as what I will do here, most
likely, if museum staff are agreeable, I will probably weed out the older
catalogs and those which don't have a lot of relevance to our museum
collections.
So, thank you again for taking the time to send me your thoughts,
recommendations, and suggestions!

Michele Turner
Librarian
Currier Museum of Art