P.S. How could I have forgotten Ed Ruscha?

Business cards. 1968. 1000 copies. Photograph of Ruscha and Billy Al
Bengston mounted on cover; bound with rawhide. Most copies signed on
cover by both artists.
Babycakes. 1st ed., 1970. 1200 copies. Sweet, flocked cover, and very fragile.
Billy. Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1968. 2500 copies. This is
Ruscha's design for Billy Al Bengston's show at LACMA. The covers are
garnet paper bound with nuts and bolts, and with a pink ribbon bound
in as a placeholder.
Edward Ruscha, Minneapolis Institute of Arts. 1972. 2000 copies. In
the form of a grass-green Big-Little Book

At BookExpo this weekend I saw a little book of baseball-themed
poetry in the shape of a triangular pennant with a green, flocked
cover simulating Astroturf, I suppose. It was a very inexpensive
remainder, and I am pretty sure it was at Powell's booth.

Best regards again (and finally?),

Laurence McGilvery

>Greetings,
>
>I am inrterested in doing an exhibition in our library NEXT summer on
>books with unique covers/bindings.  Titles I can think of off the top of
>my head include the MOMA catalog covered in metal (from the 1960s?), the
>Andy Warhol Museum book with the CD in the cover where Andy's eye should
>be, a new book we just received -- Jiri Georg Dokoupil: Every Cloud Is a
>Way (2002) -- covered in plastic with water or some other liquid under
>it!!! AND the famed CREAM catalog published inside a plastic pillow.
>
>Do any of you know of any other unique or outrageous art book covers?  A
>fun question on what is here  a dreary, rainy, cold day!
>
>Ray Anne
>
>--
>Ray Anne Lockard, Head Librarian
>Frick Fine Arts Library
>University of Pittsburgh
>Pittsburgh, PA  15260
>Voice:  412-648-2411
>Fax:  412-648-7568
>E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
>
>"A book should be a ball of light in one's hands."
>Ezra Pound

Laurence McGilvery
Member, Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
Post Office Box 852
La Jolla, California 92038
USA

(858) 454-4443