Dear colleagues from ARLIS-L:

Get a warm hug from Havana Cuba. My name is Abelardo Mena, art curator of
contemporary art of the National Museum of Fine Arts, holding more than 47
000 artworks from Europe, Cuba, Asia and USA from XVI-XXI centuries. Right
now we are curating the exhibition "From Picasso to Keith Haring", to be
exhibited on next November, as the first survey of the international
contemporary art collection in our museum.

With strong presence of US artists, we are facing a deep lack of recent
bibliography about them.
Is possible that any of your art libraries make a copy of the included
artists´s entries on Who´s Who in American Art, or in Jacobsen's
Biographical Index of American Artists?

It will be a really necessary help. Thanks in advance!

Another matter. With more than 350 buildings constructed between 1927-1945,
our city must be considered the metropoli of the Art Deco in Latin America.
The majority of the constructions are private houses spread all over the
city, still functioning on this way. The Art Deco was an esential step in
the road to create- at late fifties- a sophisticated modern architecture
which mixed the assimilations of the Rationalism with the climate and
cultural heritage of our country.

Thats why we started the curating process of "Havana Art Deco", a
photographic survey with more than 180 images of the most important
buildings plus document, photograhs of their construction, and cuban
memorabilia related with this style. I am absolutely sure that such
exhibition will be a discovery for scholars, architectural institutions and
universities, and of course we are searching institutions or venues which
could host and produce this exhibit.

May you offer me any information about institutions, museums or societies
in your country that be involved on such project?
I will appreciate so much your help and advice.

I hope that this message will be the first step on an active exchange
between ours,

Sincerely yours,

Abelardo Mena
Art Curator